Tuesday, September 6, 2011

vCenter error while trying to delete NAS storage

Today I've faced another interesting problem. I've added the NFS storage to the ESXi host, then I've added the same storage to the cluster. After a while I've noticed that one of the hosts had 2 storages attached with different names, but pointing to the same NFS target. When I've tried to delete the wrong one, I've got the foloowing error: "The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created". To make the things even more complicated, the virtual machines that were vMotion'ed to that ESXi host in a cluster, somehow changed their datastores to the wrong one (like background Storage vMotion). Thanks God that was testing environment :).

However the solution is very simple:
Just restart the management agents on the ESXi host. This will force the update at the vCenter Server.